Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Impressed I Am

This past Easter weekend, our son and daughter thoroughly impressed me with their behavior.  The first occurrence was on Good Friday.  As is our family tradition at this point, we attended the afternoon service at our church on Good Friday after which we went out to an early dinner with my parents and my brother and fiancee.   Throughout the week, we were questioning whether it would be a good idea to go out to dinner as our dinner reservations were set for "witching hour", that glorious time that almost every parent experiences where their kids go haywire.  Our daughter, for the whole week leading up to Good Friday had staged a freak out session every day at 5:30 almost on the nose.  To top it off, Friday morning saw our son being a complete mess.  He was tired, cranky, and had fits of crying for no apparent reason.   It got to the point that we questioned whether or not we should even go to the service, but figured we would play it by ear and make the call after he woke up.  Well, it seemed a nap was all he needed and we decided to go.  He behaved well throughout the service and afterwards, we decided to take a chance at dinner and see how it all turned out.  Well, what was expected to be a trying experience by me turned out to be a pleasant dinner with family.  Our son was actually a joy to have at the dinner table and turned out to be very helpful.  He loves his bread so he started out with rolls and then moved on to his sweet potato fries.  There was nothing else that he like, so that's all he had, and was perfectly fine with it.  He even drank his water out of one of the nice glasses that they had at the table, no issues, and all at 2.5 years old.   One thing that was a little funny that he did was after finishing every roll was he would hand his plate to the server when they came around.   He ended up going through half the bread plates at the table, but it was well worth it.   What most impressed me throughout the meal was that he sat there nicely, never acted out, always listened, and we actually got to enjoy a nice dinner at a nice restaurant.  And our daughter, while only 3 months old, was wonderful as well.  We brought her stroller in to the restaurant and were able to rock her as we ate so there was no freak out session on her part and everyone was happy.  So Good Friday was a success.  Then came Easter Sunday. 
 
Easter Sunday was a good day.  Most importantly, we got to spend the entire day with family, including my grandparents who made it to church in the morning and then stayed pretty much the entire day at my parents house, which is a rarity for them.  Our daughter did what she did which was behave pretty well, napped when she needed to, and that was pretty much it.  I must say, she definitely seems to have a more peaceful disposition than our son did at her age.   In any case, what most impressed me about Easter Sunday was just something our son did during dinner in the afternoon.  He wasn't really in the mood to eat so I asked if he wanted to get down and play, to which of course he said, yes.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't expect our son to just go into my parents living room and quietly play with his toys, which is what he did.  We could hear him talking to himself periodically, but other than that, the only sound coming out of that room was the sound of toys.   I was happy with the outcome.  It was nice to see that my wife and I are obviously doing something right when our son can go and play by himself without a TV or iPhone for entertainment and be perfectly content.  That is just who he is.  Also during our afternoon dinner, we suddenly hear the back door open.  I hadn't seen anyone go towards the back door and when my wife came into the dining room, I knew it must be our son who managed to open the back door and let himself out onto my parents deck.  He is an unstoppable machine.  It doesn't take him long to figure something out and when he does, he wants to repeat that action over and over and over again.  The other day, my wife and I saw him sitting in our large kitchen cabinet, slowly opening and closing the door, staring at the hinge.  It is one of those complex hinges that allow the door to open 170 degrees and he just sat there and watched how it worked.  It was really cool to watch.  I must say, our son is getting to a most spectacular age, where curiosity is rampant and the possibilities of what he can learn are endless.  I absolutely love it.  And while I love our daughter just as much as our son (her personality is starting to shine), I can't wait for to get a little bit older so she can start interacting more with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment