Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Monday, March 5, 2012

Tribute to Paul Rocuant

After hearing last Friday that my cousin Paul is expecting a child in October, I felt it was fitting to pay tribute to the man that he has become.  No, Paul himself is not pregnant, but his wife obviously is (just wanted to clarify that).  I have known Paul since I was a wee little munchkin myself and have always known him to be a driven individual.  Once he sets his sights on a goal, there really is no stopping him lest anyone in his way be plowed down in the process.  This is especially true on the basketball court where we used to participate in pick up games when I was younger.  I am not sure how much he plays anymore, but if you could see his 6'4" frame barreling down the court back in the day, there would be no way you would want to step in front of him and try to challenge his approach.  But Paul is more than his commandeering personality.  While being driven to succeed, he also places his family first, ensuring that they have what they need and doing everything he can for them.  Balancing both his successful law firm in Southern Florida and his family must be a difficult task, but he has (as far as I know) handled both really well.  With two amazing children already part of his family from a previous marriage, this new addition to his family will only bring more joy to him, his wife, and to the rest of his family.  I am truly happy for him and only wish him the best. 

There is more to Paul than just his successful law firm and growing family now.  I have fond memories of his younger years to, reaching back to the mid 1980's.  As a teenager at the time, he used to cut the grass at my parents house for a bit and while I was still to young to operate a gas powered mower at the time, I used to do my part by following him around with my plastic toy lawn mower and trying to cut the cut grass.  Or at least I would pretend to be helping.  There was also the time when he was graduating from something, high school I believe, and we went to his graduation party at his parents house.  I still remember this event vividly as I helped my parents with his present.  What they had done was to take a corrugated cardboard box, delicately split the sections in half, stuffed money in the corrugated section, and then re-assembled the box afterwards.  The actual box contained a brick or some other heavy object I believe, but regardless, it was incredibly humorous to see Paul try and find all the money that was hidden away.  But even better than that was the first cake that he went to cut.  While looking like a cake, it was also a cardboard fake up covered in frosting and, you guessed it, stuffed with money.  When he went to cut it, the cake knife simply wouldn't penetrate it and the look of frustration and surprise was priceless.  Everyone there had many a good laugh and that was the essence of our family, gathering together and celebrating.  Even when he went off to law school in Boston, I remember visiting him with my parents, traipsing around the city seeing the sights, and most of all, just enjoying spending time together. 

Now that he lives in Florida, we don't get to see each other as much as we used to.  As is usually the case with families when they move far away, the last few times we got to see each other was over weddings and a funeral.  Thankfully, the funeral came first followed by the more joyous occasions of the weddings.  One of the wedding was ours, held in our backyard, where he was able to come up from Florida to help celebrate.  The following year we were able to fly down and attend his wedding, which although hot and humid (especially for a resident of the North East), was wonderful.  I know that as time progresses and Paul gets to meet this new addition to his family, he will only become more grounded and attentive to those around him.  He is a dedicated and driven individual, a mirror image of his mother in many ways (the late Dina Rocuant), and if his upbringing has anything to do with the way his children turn out, they will be as wonderful as he is.  My only regret is that we don't get to see each other as much as we used to.  Regardless of how many times we do see each other, he will always remain a close cousin and one that I have always looked up to.  I only hope his children find a role model in him as I did when I was younger.  For there is nothing more necessary in this day and age for children to have a solid role model in their lives, especially a father, and I know that Paul is one to be reckoned with.  To many happy years ahead and good times with your children, I pay tribute to you Paul.

1 comment:

  1. Paul helped me with my divorce and was the calm in my storm for many years of trial and tribulations. The most significant element of Paul's work, I believe, was recognizing that the most important person affected by my husband's and my decision to divorce was our 4 year old daughter. She will turn 21 this July and every day I am proud of who she is. Because of Paul's strong leadership we all successfully transitioned to the next phases of our lives. Not only was he my attorney, but he was (and will always be, I hope) my friend. You are lucky to have such an amazing man as your cousin.

    ReplyDelete