Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Rough Start

I know, I know, I was slightly ambiguous with my title today as it could mean any number of things considering what I talked about yesterday.  In reality, the title refers mostly to my day yesterday and on a much smaller scale, our son's day (no pun intended unless you took it that way in which case, laugh away).  My day started with waking up exhausted and feeling like another 4 hours of sleep would have done the trick.  Its definitely not easy getting moving in the morning when you have 3 cups of coffee and it still feels like you just rolled out of bed, threw your slippers on and trudged down the stairs to make the coffee.  The morning in terms of getting our little family ready and out the door was business as usual.  We actually had more time together as my wife didn't have to leave as early as she normally does.  BDC (Before Day Care) my wife used to leave the house at 630 in order to get to the school before the mad rush of kids and other teachers started jamming up the parking lot.  Now, as our son can't be dropped off at day care before 7, she doesn't leave till 645.  While that extra fifteen minutes may not seem like too much, it makes a big difference in the morning, alleviating some of the stress of running around like a gaggle of inebriated geese (not that we are inebriated in the morning, it just feels like it sometimes).  So we had a little extra time together as a family before we all went our separate ways.  As I wasn't in a rush to leave yesterday morning, I decided to get a few things done on the computer after my wife and son left.  One of the tasks that I needed to get done was retrieve an old estimate from my old laptop that I had done about three years ago.  So as I had both laptops sitting next to each other on my dining room table, I plugged my USB into my old laptop so I could re-save the estimate and move it to my newer laptop.  Well, as technology doesn't always work the way you want it to, the file didn't want to save to the USB, and when I tried to eject the drive, it said it was in use even though no programs were running on my laptop.  Trying everything except shutting down my computer, I pulled the drive which consequently caused everything I had on there to be erased.  Not only did I have every estimate over the past 2 years on there, I also had a good portion of my writing that I work on periodically on there.  To say I was pissed was an understatement.  I am just glad that there was no one else in the house with me because I think they would have gone running.  Even the dogs were scared and tried to avoid me as much as possible.  So that was the start of my day.  I did quickly get over my anger though and managed to make the rest of the day a least moderately better. 

While I was swearing up a storm, considering throwing all computers violently out the window in order to run them over with my van, my wife was dropping off our son at day care.  When she got there and put him down, he started walking towards his room, totally independent and carefree.  He got mildly distracted by the lizards and other animals, but my wife managed to get him all the way to his room.  Once there, he went right for the toys and started playing in the corner by himself.  Thinking he was all set, my wife kissed him goodbye and left.  About ten minutes later however, upon realizing that his mommy was gone and he was going to be staying there all day, he started crying.  Luckily it didn't last too long and the rest of his day went really well.  While they didn't go outside because it was quite bitterly cold out, they did bring in some snow for the kids to play with which I thought was pretty cool.  They probably won't be going outside today either as the temperature probably won't be getting out of the 20's.  We shall see how our son does today when my wife drops him off.  I am kind of curious to hear what his reaction will be like, but I guess I will have to wait for it till later.  Our son had such an active day yesterday that by the time I got home around 430 in the afternoon, he was a maniacal crankster.  He was a little frantic when I walked in the door, running around, pointing at everything, and then wanting to be held while continuing to point at everything.  It was a little bit frustrating as every time I didn't even have a chance to tell him what something was before he spun around in my arms and pointed at something else.  It was non stop chaos till I started watering the plants in the house.  At that point, he started to calm down a little bit and watch what I was doing.  As we walked around to the different rooms, explaining everything as I went along, he just sat in my arms and watched.  At least I know now what I have to do to temper the storm.  I just hope it works today as well as it did yesterday.  It was just a little rough for me walking into chaos and not even getting a chance to unwind from work.  I love our son, but sometimes it is a little trying.  And yes, I know it will get more trying as time goes on, but I am still only a little over a year into the whole fatherhood thing and I am continuously learning. 

After our son went to bed, what was a decent day took another turn for the worse.  Before I continue, let me just make this disclaimer that what I am about to relate to you really isn't that bad, its just that after a long day with already frustrating events taking place, it was not easy to deal with.  (And yes I know everything could be much much worse, but sometimes you don't see how stupid things are until you look back at them the next day).  So, as I was saying, things took a turn for the worse.  I went to install the doors for our corner cabinet.  These doors have been my nemesis since I started them.  From the time I started building these two doors, I have had nothing but issues with them, mostly due to my inexperience and negligence, but still, these are the only doors I have had this much trouble with.  I thought everything would go smoothly last night as all the holes were drilled for the hinges, everything lined up correctly, and it should have been a piece of cake.  However, as I was attaching the brackets that the hinges hook on to, I noticed a major issue.  Where I placed the bottom hinge and bracket would obstruct the fixed lazy susan from turning, thus preventing us from accessing all the kitchen utensils in the back of the cabinet.  Frustrating.  So I had to take my finished doors (luckily just one of them) and re-drill a hole for the hinge about 2 inches higher.  While this may not seem like a big deal, I am a perfectionist and that door now has a gaping hole on the back side where the hinge used to sit.  Such is life though.  The doors are done and installed and work perfectly.  So while my day was rough, it could have been much worse.  Even when I encountered those frustrating times yesterday, I got over the issues fairly quickly and moved on with my life.  I hope today turns out to be a better day than yesterday.  While I once again woke up exhausted, probably from working on my last two kitchen cabinet doors till 1030, I am trying to remain positive that things will go smoothly today.  Unfortunately, today will be excessively long as I have darts tonight and probably won't make it into bed till about midnight.  Oh well, life goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment