Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Monday, June 22, 2015

A Good Father's Day

This past weekend flew by way too quickly.  It was Father's Day, as most of you know, and I got to spend a lot of time with both our children.  It all started on Friday when our son's daycare had a Father's Day picnic for any dads who wanted to come.  (Our daughter is not in daycare on Friday).  So of course, with it being Friday, I quit work early and headed over to be with my son for his afternoon snack.  There were a good number of dads there and we all sat around on the ground with our children and enjoyed the craziness of a whole group of 3 and 4 year olds.  Being there for that afternoon snack made me realize how much I could not run a daycare.  There are two adults for over 10 children and it is nuts.  It was fun for the 45 minutes I was there, but to handle those children all day every day would be too much for me.  So after the snack, which our son didn't care too eat, we played in the sand box with a few of the other boys.  It was good to see our son interact with his friends but the best part was that I was there.  He was excited to see me come around the corner of the building for the picnic and we both had a great time.  And that was only the beginning.  

Saturday our whole family went over my parents house to celebrate Father's Day a day early.  It was supposed to be nicer on Saturday and rain Sunday and we figured if we wanted to use the pool, Saturday would be better.  Well, Saturday started off nice and then got cloudy early.  Didn't matter to our son though who was adamant that we go swimming, even if it was a little bit chilly.  So the two of us went swimming, just me and my son.  Luckily my parents had turned the pool heater on or we would not have been venturing in.  We were in the pool for a good 45 minutes before I suggested that we get out due to my son's lips turning blue and him shivering while in the water.  Even despite my suggestions, he wanted to remain in the pool.  A little fish he is.  He can't swim yet, but with his swimmies on, he is a non-stop swimming monster.  As for me, I love the water as well and had absolutely no problem staying in with him.  He didn't warm up for quite a while after that and asked that he remain wrapped in a towel and held in my arms.  Who am I to complain about my son wanting to do that?  With it being so cold, our daughter did not accompany us, but rather stayed inside with the rest of the family.  

Sunday, the actual Father's Day, was even better, if only for the fact that I got some alone time with our son in the afternoon.  It rained most of the morning leaving us inside and doing puzzles and playing with trains.  Luckily, though, it cleared up so we decided to get outside for a bit.  Well, once the sun came out after all that rain, it got extremely humid.  It got to the point where we didn't want to be outside anymore and felt it would better if we just spent some more time inside.  I got the idea that maybe we should go to my parents house and use their pool.  They consented and so I took our son and headed down with him.  My wife and daughter stayed home as they were not going to go swimming.  So it was just my son and I, no problem.  We took the doors off my Jeep, made sure we had towels, and headed out.  We went swimming for a bit and then on the way home, we went strawberry picking.  It was such a joy going strawberry picking with him.   I went to the farm that I had gone to with my mom when I was little to pick strawberries.  We walked around the whole farm and couldn't find the strawberries.  Turns out, they moved the strawberry patch across the street, down a dirt road, and over the train tracks.  And what a field of strawberries it was.  As a rough estimate, 4-5 football fields could have easily fit into the strawberry patch.  And there were only a handful of other people there.  It was awesome.  And of course, my son didn't really help put the strawberries in the basket, he was more focused on shoving as many as he could into his mouth.  So of course I took pictures of it, red juice flowing everywhere.  

All in all, it was a great weekend that, as most weekends do, ended too quickly.  There was one little sad note throughout all of it and that was that this is the first Father's Day without my grandfather, Dziadziu around.  It was different just knowing that he is in heaven and not having him to crack a joke and make us laugh a little more.  But he is at peace now.  Now it is time to enjoy my son and daughter.  And that is exactly what I did this past weekend.  Yes, I spent a little more time with my son, but every second I was at home, I enjoyed my daughter as well.  I consider myself blessed to have two such wonderful children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment