Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Monday, February 28, 2011

We are all Human

So for now I will defer the topic of government excesses and instead focus on a real solution that I have alluded to before.  Before I get into it, I know that I have talked about holding people accountable for what they have done, looking at the origins of problems, and trying to figure these things out.  The most important thing that we must remember in trying to resolve any problem is that everyone we deal with is human.  Whether it be our neighbor, the corporate executive, the despot in the Middle East (Qadaffi), or the pirates in Somalia.  Regardless of how misguided people can be, we are all human; full of emotions, shortcomings, brilliant ideas, and the capacity to love.  Now you may ask, "How can you call Qadaffi human, hundreds of people are being murdered at his command?"  Well, regardless of what he has done or is doing, he is still a human being and as much as I would like to judge him, it is not my place to do so.  If I saw him face to face, would I have trouble treating him as an equal?  Yes, I would have an extremely difficult time doing so.  But you know what, he is a human that is misguided and in my mind broken, detached from love and emotion except where it suits him in regards to his family.  Perhaps the best way to approach others as equals is to deal with them in the present moment.  If we strip away the past and future, the very causes of anxiety, anger, depression, stress, and rage; then perhaps we can see these people for who they truly are.  If we dwell on the past, we can all to easily get caught up in anger at what was done, a sense of entitlement, and an overwhelming desire to make others pay.  If we get caught up in these emotions, they all to often grab hold of our minds like a vice and will not let go, blinding us to the humanity of others and forcing us to look at them  more like objects or animals to act upon rather than humans to communicate with.  (Am I being slightly hipocritical here in regards to what I have said in earlier posts, yes, because I also get caught in the trap of dwelling in the past).  As sappy as this may sound, maybe we should take a lesson from the 60's and the "hippies" who dealt in the present and relied on love and peace to make a difference.  You know what, it worked.  Look at the recent protests in Egypt which for the most part began and ended peacefully (although there was some rock throwing and beating involved).  The end result, communication between people (highly religious and highly intellectual) who before would never have even met face to face to have a discussion.  Dealing in the past will strip us of our capacity to love and will hinder any human progress.  It seems that more and more, we as a human population are diminishing our capacity to love.  Just look at the world today.   Lets look at what happens when we look to the future.  (Again, I have fallen into this trap in my posts as well).  When we look at our economy and where it is going, what happens?  I know I get stressed and anxious as to how things will turn out, how my family and I will make it, and how this will affect our children being born today.  In the overall scheme of things, does this really matter?  Not really.  If you woke up this morning, opened your eyes and took a breath, then you are ok.  Today is all that matters.  If we dwell in the future, our minds spin a web of anxiousness and stress, spiraling ever downwards and possibly leading to depression.  What is the use. If we spin this web, we then look to medications and doctors to fix them when they will do nothing unless we draw our minds back to the present.   If we are alive today, then we should be greatful for it.  If we all lived every moment like it was our last, our lives would garner so much more meaning.  In the present we are capable of loving those around us, we can see people for who they truly are; not monsters of the past or villians of the future, but humans struggling just as we do.  So what am I trying to say.  Well, we can not change the past, what is done is done and dwelling on it will not change anything.  The future does not exist, the only reason it will come to pass is by living today.  The future is based on what happens today.  As the cliche goes, the present is exactly that, a "present" for us to live.  If we live and love today, then maybe and only maybe can we do the same tomorrow.  Start today by kissing your loved ones, don't dwell on what they did yesterday or how it will affect tomorrow.  Live for the moment and live this quote "Carpe diem", sieze the day!

1 comment:

  1. Alex, this really hits home for me. Not so many years ago I was in a tough situation brought about by bad choices I had made. I became extremely depressed with what had happened and what I had lost. Then acute anxiety kicked in as I worried about my future. It took me over two years, with the support of family/friends and a lot of hard work, to get back on track. I still have tough issues ahead of me, but now can face them as well as their consequences. As you said, and I agree, it is very important to live in the moment and enjoy the day before us... somehow the future takes care of itself. However, we do need to reflect on the past and think about how the choices we made have affected our present situation…and learn from them. During my recovery I was counseled - before you make a decision, think about how it will affect you four weeks from now, four months from now, four years from now. I do that everyday…so there is no need to worry about my future. (Ha! Easier said than done!)...Keep up the good work Alex…. I really enjoy your blog. Marlene

    ReplyDelete