Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Thursday, December 13, 2012

Struggling to Awake

The cacophonous sound of my alarm clock swiftly infiltrated my deep slumber this morning, jostling me awake way before my body wanted to arise.  Its been a long week, cold days, with an average of 5 hours of sleep a night.  For any wise guys out there, no I haven't been drinking myself into a hangover for the past four days.  What I have been doing, however, is trying to finish an exterior job that I perhaps mistakenly started too late.  In addition to that, I have been chipping away at my kitchen cabinets every evening for at least 2 hours.  Today should be Friday, at least according to my weary body, yet I awoke to find I hadn't actually slept through Thursday, but unfortunately woke up on it.  Its not like I could have actually slept for a whole day, but sometimes its nice to think I might have.  The most I probably would have slept today would have been an extra 2 hours, allowing my a ripe old wake up time of 6 A.M.  Yes, 6 is a normal person's wake up time, however, I am far from normal as most of you have probably figured out by now.  In any case, I wasn't the only one who was up late last night.  I didn't even mean to stay out in my garage till the hour that I did, but that's what happens when you get involved in a project, have Andrea Bocelli playing on Pandora, and forget to periodically check the clock to see what time it is.  When I finally made it inside at about 11:45, I was surprised to see my wife awake in bed, not reading or anything, just awake.  For her, 11:45 is the middle of the night (as it is for most people) and normally she wouldn't even move as I got into bed.  Last night, however, she was up, awoken by our son who decided to start talking at 11 and not finish his babbling till 11:30.  According to her, it was quite hilarious to hear our son pick up with his babbling seemingly out of no where and for no apparent reason.  Well, we know the real reason, but didn't expect it to express itself in the form of babbling in the middle of the night.  You see, he is back to getting some tough teeth in.  In addition to his molars which are probably just about breaking through his gums, he is also getting at least one of his incisors on his upper set of teeth. 

As a result of all this teething, he looks like you turned on a faucet to a slow drip and put it in his mouth.  The drool is incessant to the point where he needs a change of clothes just from drool at least twice a day.  Drool is the least of his worries, however, as whatever teeth are coming in has also created a Niagara Falls of baby snot that issues continuously forth from his nose.  Well, if you couldn't guess where I am going with this, I will tell you.  All that snot has built up for a few days leaving our son with a nice cough.  He has been having a little trouble going to sleep due to the occasional cough, but he eventually falls asleep and when he does, the cough mostly dissipates.  Despite his drool, his marathon nose, and his cough, he is dealing remarkably well with his incoming teeth.  While he has been a little more cranky than usual, there has been no screaming or permanent crocodile tears affixed to his face.  He is our tough little monkey (obviously not a monkey, but for any skeptics out there, he is not a monkey).  So in regards to his not quite sleepless, but interrupted sleep night, I am guessing that he will be pretty tired today.  That makes two of us.  While we both have long days ahead of us; him playing, hopefully napping, eating, and pooping; me working, working, working, and playing darts; I think I have the longer and more stressful one.  It will only be more stressful in the fact that I won't be getting to bed till about midnight tonight and tomorrow should leave me completely exhausted.  Unfortunately and fortunately, I am watching little man tomorrow.  Its unfortunate because I will be tired, which I wish I wasn't when watching him, and fortunate because if he does decide to nap tomorrow, you bet your pinky I will be napping as well.  I usually do decide to nap when he is napping on our days together, tomorrow just might be a necessity for me (as it should be for him although some days he opts not to nap at all).  In any case, I am on my third cup of coffee right now with no measurable effect yet on my state of wakefulness.  If only my espresso machine was out and function, I would make myself about 13 shots of espresso.  Okay, 13 may be a little much, but my body and mind are screaming for caffeine right now.  I have a feeling that today I might need to take a little nap after lunch just to make it all the way through today. 

For now, I must end my writing for a couple of reasons.  The first and most important is that I need to go get my son out of bed and start our normal morning of pandemonium.  The second reason is that my fingers and mind don't seem to be completely in sync this morning and typing is getting incredibly difficult for me.  Typing is usually fairly easy, but there is a lapse in the connections between my brain and body right now.  Its almost like my mind is in China trying to control my body in Iceland over a land line.  There is an incredible delay and there is not much I can do except hope that with every sip of coffee my mind and body come closer together.  I don't know why I picked China and Iceland, but they seemed pretty far apart and worth putting into the comparison.  Enough.  My babbling must stop before I start typing da da da da da da.   Wait, its too late, I've lost control and don't know how to stop.  I think I need to hit Control Alt Delete and reboot my brain.  Houston, we have a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment