Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Monday, May 7, 2012

The Long Weekend

So I left early Friday to head up to Vermont and I hit barely any traffic at all except for a few small pockets here and there.  I took my time going up because the van was full of supplies and I didn't feel like taking a chance at getting pulled over.  In any case, I got there and the work began.  From around lunch time on Friday until I left on Sunday, I worked and worked from sunrise to sunset with only a few breaks in between.  While I did miss my wife and son, the non stop work helped me to keep my mind occupied and busy.  I did think of them though, especially what it will be like the first time camping with our son.  Its not like this is a traditional campsite with facilities and running water, its a plot of land in the middle of the woods with a stream running through it.  The shower, if you want to take one, is one of those portable shower bags that you fill up with water, let it heat up in the sun, and then hang it up to shower outdoors.  We will pass talking about the toilet for now because I am sure not too many people are interested in hearing about it.  Lets just leave it at its a user flushed toilet (remember, no running water, septic, or sewer).  We do have tents and every other camping amenity you could possibly want such as cots, super insulated sleeping bags, propane, charcoal, etc. etc. etc.  Despite the lack of facilities, which I don't mind at all, life is pretty good up there. 

I personally can't wait to bring our son up there and see how he does camping for the first time, especially in a tent.  I have a feeling that he will be fine, but you never know.  It could get a little chilly at night and when it gets light out in the morning, you notice it right away as the tent doesn't exactly keep light out.  Part of the supplies that I brought up this past weekend was one of those gated enclosures for infants and toddlers that you could either put inside or outside.  We figured this would be perfect to start with as the clearing we camp on is surrounded by steep slopes on three sides that go down to the stream.  I can't wait to see how he reacts to the completely different environment.  For us, even as adults, we notice a big difference.  Up in Vermont, it is quiet, peaceful, no car or truck sounds to be heard, and the constant sound of running water fills the background.  In Connecticut, its the complete opposite, rowdy neighbors, the incessant drone of cars and trucks, no audible running water.  Perhaps the biggest difference, however, is the amount of stars that you can see at night.  It is as if you were transported to a different world when you head up north and look up at the sky at night.  Without all the excessive lights that we have down here in Connecticut, you can really see hundreds more stars than you could down here.  I don't think our son will see those quite yet as he goes to bed before the sun goes down and gets up after it rises.  But thats more for my wife and I to enjoy. 

Regardless, I got done what I wanted to get done this weekend.  It got a little difficult about halfway through as the pull start on the generator I brought up to run my power tools broke.  It wasn't even my own generator, which is the worst part, but to be fair, the pull start was a little loose to begin with so I guess I just pulled it wrong.  In any case, I got most of the cutting I needed to get done before it broke, so it wasn't too bad.  If it weren't for my wife and son being home, I just might have stayed there a few more days and actually relaxed (which I have a hard time doing).  There is just something about being disconnected for a while that I really enjoy and relish.  Its not often you can just get away from everything and not have to worry about your cell phone ringing off the hook, especially if you don't get service.  But in any case, I am starting to ramble, probably because I am exhausted, but such is life.  I did manage to make it home in record time yesterday despite a little bit of traffic.  I drove straight through, skipping my normal rest stop, and with traffic made it home in 3 hours flat.  Of course, the speedometer was pegged around 75-80 the entire way, but luckily there were no state troopers in Vermont, Massachusetts, or Connecticut to slow me down.  A little bit of a risk, yes, but well worth it to get home before my son went to bed.  All in all, the long weekend was good, but tiring, and now I go back to work to make some money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment