Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Tuesday, June 12, 2012

All About Flexibility

Today I am not talking about physical flexibility as some might intuit by the title of my post but rather mental and situational flexibility.  Don't get me wrong, physical flexibility is important in our lives, but perhaps equally if not more important is the kind of flexibility we need to draw upon in our every day lives when dealing with others.  Some people are supremely flexible, being able to adapt to a rapidly changing situation while others find it much harder to change course, adapt, and move forward in a beneficial and meaningful way.  To me, flexibility is an absolute necessity when it comes to every day life.   I am sure that 99% of us have been in a situation that necessitates us reviewing the present course of action, the obstacles in our way, and the most productive and beneficial way of moving past that obstacle.  Often times it involves differing from out planned course of action.  This could be anything as simple as planning a picnic in the park, getting everything ready and in the car only to have it start raining.   Or it could be more complex in a work setting where while working with someone else, ideas don't particularly mesh and another alternative must be agreed upon in order to proceed.  In order to be flexible in any situation, we must be able to put aside our own thoughts, ideas, and plans and try to look at the situation with a new set of eyes, ones not our own yet able to present a new alternative for progression.  Personally, I like to think that I am flexible most of the time.  Yet while flexible most of the time, I will also be the first to admit that in certain situations I am obstinate and find it very hard to deviate from a present course. 

So why am I talking about this today?  Simply put, I am presently dealing with a situation at work in which there is no flexibility on my customers part.  I have tried to work with him in finding an alternative solution, yet he is firmly set in his course and will not deviate whatsoever.  It has gotten to the point where the job might not be finished by me simply because no solution can be agreed upon.  It isn't about the actual work that I am doing, but rather compensation or payment for the work that I am doing.  To summarize the situation, it is an exterior job that has been delayed because of the almost weekly rain that we have been having.  The customer paid a fifth of the job up front to get the job started.  After a month (damn rain) and having almost finished a fifth of the project, I asked for the second fifth.  The only reason I asked early is because he has his bank send me the check which takes about a week to arrive.  His position is that until a fifth of the project is done, he will not have a check sent.  Well, personally, I need money to pay the bills and told him that was the only reason I was asking for the check a little early.  There was no understanding on his part so I stopped working there.  In my eight years in business, I have never run into a customer who is so inflexible when it comes to payment.  Every other customer I have has been understanding and paid when requested.  Maybe it is me, but I don't think I am being unreasonable.  Its not like I am asking for the complete balance of the job, simply some more money to keep me going.   To say that I am slightly annoyed would be putting it mildly, yet what is one to do.  The rain has been persistent every week, reducing the time I am able to work outside to only a few days a week.  It is hard to get an exterior done when there is rain every week.  But alas, I digress, I was talking about flexibility and how I wish this customer was just a little more flexible when it comes to payment. 

To be fair, I understand that he is wary of paying me and then having me not do anymore work (as he indicated he had issues before with contractors). Yet he also told me he is completely satisfied with the work being done and said he sees the progression.  Still, I didn't think I was over reaching.  Somehow, it makes me wonder if I am not being flexible enough, not going the extra mile to satisfy a customer.  Oh well, not much I can do except move forward from here, either walking off my first job ever, or going back and finishing.  I did tell him that once I get paid from some other jobs, I will be back, however now he is questioning if he even wants me to finish.  I don't personally get it.  Life goes on and the only thing I can do is try my best to be as flexible as possible moving forward.  I know there are times when I find it incredibly difficult to be flexible, but usually I come around and am able to work through any issues.  So I guess I am ranting a raving a little bit, frustrated and stressed, and should probably just end this now so I don't keep on babbling too  long.  All I have to do is look forward to tomorrow and my day off with our son who turned eight months yesterday.  Just thinking about him now puts a smile on my face and reduces my stress and frustration a little bit.  (I wonder if I will say the same thing when he is a teenager).  Till tomorrow, my goal is to make it through the day, nothing more, nothing less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment