Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Friday, June 15, 2012

If Only...

If only every summer day was like yesterday in CT, I would be a much happier man.  Don't get me wrong, I will still be happy regardless, my happiness would simply be more pervasive if every day was relatively cool with low humidity.  There were a few times yesterday where I had to stop what I was doing, close my eyes, and absorb the world around me.  I just love when the temperature is in the mid 60's, a breeze briefly blows through, and I get a chill.  The chill, while not invasive and long lasting, brings a brief burst of energy and lets me know that yes, I am alive.  You can always tell when there is a gust of wind on its way in the late spring.  At first you catch a glimpse of the tree tops flitting back and forth, almost as if a child is reaching for the top branches.   Migrating downwards, the breeze soon catches the whole tree in its grip and pushes it to and fro like an army of miniature squirrels racing for the ground.  Finally done with the trees, the breeze swirls through every obstacle at ground level, re-arranging pollen swirls and dust piles as it slowly dies out.  What could be better than working outside on a day like that?  Well, obviously not working outside on a day like that and just relaxing would be optimal, but for now, I will have to take my little micro breaks to enjoy it all.  Yet its not only when I am outside working that I get pulled by nature and the world around me, I also get it while driving.

Going from one job to another yesterday morning, early before 8, there was a pretty steady breeze blowing.  I know its probably not the best time to get caught up in looking at the world around you, but sometimes I can't help it when I am driving on a beautiful morning.  As I was traveling down the road, I couldn't help but notice the long shadows of anticipation that were being cast by a fresh rising sun.  The shadows danced sprightly on the ground, reaching in front of my van, then pulling back at the last minute.  Tunnels of light opened up periodically, shaking spasmodically with no given agenda or purpose.  It was almost like I was alone on the road, witnessing nature in its early morning frivolity, begging me to pull over and go lay under a tree.  But I didn't, I kept on driving, watching the trees and shadows drift by, oblivious to my travels.  Every so often I would get nudged by the wind, the van lurching left or right, yet I traveled on.  I always consider pulling over and just taking it all in for a few minutes, yet most of the time, I simply travel on, remembering the sights and sounds around me, cataloguing them for future use like now.  Perhaps what stays with me most is the smell of the early morning, the fragrance of fresh dew perched precariously on every blade of grass and the last spring pollen swirling around on the ground, puffing up every now and then with a passing car or gust of wind.  Its tantalizing to me, the smells, the sights, the sounds; and it keeps me going strong. 

I have mentioned before that I don't always listen to music during the day at work.  Just the other day I had a customer come up to me and suggest I bring music with me.  I told her my iPhone had all the music I could want, I just didn't feel like listening to it then and there.  Its funny, when you have all the music in the world at your fingertips, sometimes you don't want any of it.  Sometimes the birds chirping is just enough of a melody to provide background music for work.   Most of the time, my thoughts and the work itself are enough to keep me occupied.  There is a meditative quality to repetitive work that I utterly enjoy.  Its a transformative process by which I take whatever I am working on and make it look better.  My thoughts wander as my hands keep working, contemplating, ruminating, and sometimes, just resting.  I am now looking forward to another beautiful day with low humidity and fantastic sun.  I hope everyone reading this can get outside for at least a few minutes, close your eyes, and let your thoughts drift away, leaving you open to the world around you.  Don't think, just absorb.  For now, I am signing off and heading out into the world.  May everyone have a wonderful weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment