Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Thursday, June 14, 2012

Consistently Growing

Yesterday, as almost every Wednesday for the past 5 months, I spent at home with my son.  Yes, I work only four days a week, but those four days are much longer to compensate for the loss of one day.  Despite my occasional desire to work a Saturday, I find it very hard to do so when my wife and son are at home.  But it is what it is, I have no regrets, so that is really all that matters.  Anyway, back to my son and my day off with him.  Let me start by saying that he is not walking yet, luckily, although he is getting much better at balancing and can even balance while kneeling now.  He is a fairly quick learner and tries his hardest at everything, including trying to stand up.  Its funny to watch him now as he crawls.  Almost every time he moves forward, he tries to extend his legs and walk his feet forward with his hands still on the floor.  Normally he gets one, maybe two steps in before going back to crawling.  He is working his leg muscles into shape and seems to be happiest now when he is being supported while upright on his feet.  On that upright note, he is becoming much more adept at walking his feet forward while holding either my wife's or my hands.  We even noticed yesterday that he seems to have much more balance in that position while moving his feet quickly forward, almost running, but we can't quite call it that yet as he is still holding on.  Its amazing to watch his excitement at figuring things out and seeing him learn about the world.  

In terms of learning about the world, I have found that he doesn't care too much for most of his toys.  Yesterday we were up in his room after a nap and I decided to put his small basket of toys on the ground to play with.  He quickly crawled over and proceeded to take all the toys out one by one, inspecting each as he moved it from the basket to the floor.  Some of them he spent a little more time with such as the ones that made noise or rattled and less time with the ones that did nothing, like the stuffed animals.  Once he had all the toys out of the basket, he became fascinated with the basket and spent more time inspecting that than he did all his toys.  Either his toys aren't interesting enough or he would much rather play with regular objects around the house.  The only toys that he seems to enjoy and spend more time with than anything else are his soft blocks which he is trying to learn how to stack and his mini clear beach ball with a smaller ball inside.  Most of the time when we are playing in the living room, he is engrossed with his blocks or ball for a while.  Once he gets bored with them, he makes his way to one of two places; the stairs or the kitchen.  The stairs are pretty obvious as he knows how to climb them and wants to see how far he can get.  The kitchen, I believe, has become his favorite place as it has our pots and pans which he loves to drag out of our cabinets and play with on the floor.  He spends much more time with our pots and pans than he does with any of his toys.   Sometimes he will play with the pots and pans inside the cabinet while at other times they get spread all over the kitchen floor.  I don't know, maybe we should just get him a complete cooking set for his birthday that we can use as well.  

All in all, we truly consider ourselves blessed to have such a well tempered child (thus far) that is happy the majority of the time, sleeps through the night without incident, and is dealing quite well with his incoming teeth (7 so far).  He has figured out how to tell us he needs his diaper changed by scratching his diaper (usually means there is poop inside) and is constantly working on his different consonants and vowels in addition to working out the full range of his voice.  Every morning now when I go to get him out of bed I find him kneeling by the rails, holding on, and talking.  As soon as he sees me, he gets all excited, breaks out a huge smile, and occasionally stands up to help me get him.  What else can I say, I love him so much.  The one thing I can't wait for is when I don't have to worry about him trying to put anything and everything into his mouth.  While its nice that he is mobile now, he can't be left alone obviously unless I am absolutely certain there is nothing that can endanger him.  On that note, I don't think it is entirely possible for a parent to completely baby proof a house.  I feel that there is always at least one object that goes unnoticed by parents that a baby will find and try to eat or perhaps just explore with his mouth.  Even the corner of our carpets aren't left untouched.  He loves to play with the little threads and attempt to put them in his mouth until we stop him that is.  Oh well, that is my report for now.  Until tomorrow when I will talk about something else (duh!), have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment