Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Friday, August 3, 2012

Not Walking Yet

I figured that as I am about to talk about my son, I would start everything off by saying that no, he is not walking yet.  My wife and I both feel however that it is time for him to take his first steps on his own.  Trust me, we are not in any way trying to push our son to develop faster than he is, however, we do want to save our backs a little from the perpetual hunched over position we have take in order to walk our son around.  OK, let me correct that last statement just a little, I want to save my back from being hunched over all the time walking our son around.  He has grown to the point where my wife is able to stand up straight while still holding our son's hands to walk him around.  With my height exceeding that of my wife's, I do not get the same luxury that she does.  In any case, we both feel that our son walking will be both a benefit and a detriment.  On the plus side, we won't have to carry him around quite as much when he starts walking (notice I said "quite as much").  On the down side, we both have the feeling that once he starts going he won't stop.  As it is, he is getting closer and closer to running while holding our hands.  On occasion we test him a little to see how close he is to walking on his own by taking one of our hands away while in the process of walking him.  Most of the time he will stop dead in his tracks and look up and reach for our absent hand in order to continue walking.  However, there will times later in the day when he is tired and not paying as much attention when he will simply keep on walking a few steps while holding on to only one hand.  I know, don't push our son to walk too soon, but we can't help but to test the walking waters every so often. 

Overall, there is not that much new to report in regards to our son.  He is still the happy go lucky baby that we have known and continues to sparkle and shine.  The only real advances that he is making is in regards to his talking.  It seems that every week or so now he adds some new consonants to his vocabulary.  Most of the time it seems that his words always end in a.  He has da, ba, ma, ha, fa, ta, la, so far.  I may be missing a few, but those seem to constitute the bulk of his vocabulary  at this point.  It is so much fun to walk him around, to see a big smile on his face while he is walking, and to hear a continuous stream of ba ba ba ba ba, or some other string of babbling.  He is getting quicker with his talking as well, stringing together his little monosyllabic utterances at a more brisk pace.  I personally can't wait to hear him start talking and expressing himself outside of the babbling.  While I know that it is all cute and what not, I am ready to hear what is going on inside that little head of his.  I want to be able to have him tell me what he is thinking and to start asking his perpetual questions so I can begin my perpetual answers.  That is one part that I can't wait for, the introduction to him of everything in the word via the English language.  As it is, he already responds better to explanations than he does to single words.  Let me explain that one a little more.  As I have mentioned before, our son loves to explore everything and normally that exploration involves him slapping whatever object is in front of him with the palm of his hand, over and over and over again.  Well, his actions necessitated our introduction of the word "no" to him as he sometimes tries to slap fragile objects.  What we have noticed is that if we tell him no followed by an explanation of why he shouldn't do something, he listens better than if we just repeat no till we our sick of hearing ourselves say "no".  I don't know why he responds better, but he will actually stop what he is doing if he gets an explanation most of the time.  Granted, there are times when he will totally disregard what we are saying (probably because he doesn't understand us yet) and continue his actions till we pull him away, but more often than not, he will stop. 

Perhaps one of the cutest things he does now is to take all the clothes out of a given drawer in his dresser.  When we are playing in his room, he will go up to his dresser, open one of the middle drawers, and begin pulling whatever clothes are in there out.  He almost never settles for the bottom drawer, but rather the middle one which he can hold and stand at.  Once he is in position; drawer open a little, him standing looking in, he begins his launching process.  The process starts with him grabbing the closest piece of clothing and launching it behind him, normally up and over his head.  On occasion he will look over at us with a wide eyed, "look at what I'm doing" look while at other times he is content simply staring into the drawer at the remaining contents that he has yet to remove.  Once he gets moving, the clothes start flying, left hand, right hand, till the drawer is completely empty.  After he is done removing all the clothes, he moves on, finding some other object to play with.  The funniest part comes when you try to put the clothes away.  If he hears you close the drawer after putting the clothes away, he will drop whatever he is doing and come back over to the dresser to begin the removal process once more.  All this leaves me wondering what is next when it comes to our son.  Whatever it is, I am sure it will be exciting (it might even be walking).  For now, I will simply enjoy his babbling, clothes removing, almost walking antics as he edges closer to the ten month mark and almost his first birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment