Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Rage Against the Facebook

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting quite tired of Facebook.  Its not so much the idea of Facebook, but rather the stupidity of the posts that gets me most times.   I don't think that there has been one day that has passed where I haven't scrolled through the myriad posts on FB and thought to myself, "My life would have been better without reading that comment."  Yet, there are also times when I come across cool links from friends, interesting news articles, or videos that I find drawn to watch.  However, with that being said, I fear that stupidity wins out most times over the intelligent posts I read.  Perhaps it is just me, but if I haven't seen you in a decade, do you really think I care about a debate that's going on in your head about weather to have another cup of coffee or not?  Or even better, what impact does someone having a headache actually have on me?  Most times, I think that people hop onto Facebook thinking they are going to find some cool information and upon not finding anything, feel the need to write anything before signing out.  Perhaps the most treacherous waters to tread on Facebook happens when people don't think about what they write or how it might affect them later on.  I have seen too many posts (both from friends and relatives) that if read by an employer would be the beginning of a process to eliminate that person as an employee.   Whats even worse is when the photo's hit Facebook and people tag every single person in that photo even if they don't want to be tagged.  Sometimes its not even about the tagging, but rather just the posting of the photo on Facebook that could get someone into trouble. 

This past Friday offered up a prime example of how Facebook could potentially work against you.  As I was down in NY, grilling on a rooftop in the business district, someone in our group had a stranger take a group picture with someone's iPhone (which by the way 9 out of 9 people had).  As soon as the picture was taken, the group I was with disappeared.  They didn't disappear literally, but rather they all became engrossed in posting the photo on Facebook, sharing it with one another, and sending it to friends that couldn't make it.  I think I was the only one that wasn't staring down at my phone for 5 minutes.  But that is besides the point.  As people were posting the photo, tagging people in it and what not, my good friend asked people not to tag him in any photos as they had the previous night.  The reason?  He had not told his employer that he was going to be in NY for the weekend and didn't want them finding out through Facebook that he was there.  Legitimate request in my mind, however most people don't think about the ramifications of their actions when posting things to Facebook.  Even my brother, who I love dearly, is a little insane in his Facebook posting.  There will be times when he posts his aggravation about a certain issue multiple times within a few hours.  Why share frustration with others?  Do you honestly think anyone cares if you are stuck on a train?  No, only you do, so keep it to yourself.  Maybe I am just living in the dark ages and can't find my way to modern times, or maybe I am just practical and logical.  I would much rather tell someone personally about events in my life than blab about it on Facebook where everyone and their mother can read it. 

Of course, I do utilize Facebook to post my blog to, but that is about the extent of my usage.  The only other times I post something is when I come across something that I think is really cool and feel that others would like to see it.  Most times, none of the stuff I post is about me, because frankly, I don't think too many people would be interested in the nitty gritty details of my life.  Even if they were, I wouldn't share them.  So how do I justify what I do with my blog?  My blog is merely an avenue for me to write my opinions, thoughts, ideas, and basically just to write as I love to do.  None of what I write is that offensive I feel and I post one a day to Facebook, that is it.  For all the perils that Facebook poses to its users, it is a useful tool for those who know how to use it.  It is great for staying in touch with family and distant friends (especially those you might not want to talk to on the phone but would rather just send a little message to on FB).   Oh, and before I wrap this whole thing up for the day, let me just say that I am sick and tired of seeing pictures of people's children and infants on Facebook.  I know its me because almost every single person I know has posted a picture of their child on Facebook, however, I feel that it is grossly inappropriate and a detriment to those children.  Looking at all the children I have seen pictures of on Facebook, it appears that I know what they look like better than I know what their parents look like.  Its kind of sad if you ask me.  These children aren't capable of making decisions on their own yet we decide it is necessary to share pictures of them with the world.  I have news for people, you may think your child is the cutest on the planet, but I guarantee that there is another baby out there that is cuter than yours.  Just saying.  I am done for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment