Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Saturday, March 5, 2011

Relationship Basics

Relationships, be they marriage or friendships are a fundamental part of our everyday life.  We engage in many different relationships every day, yet none is more important than the person we are married (or engaged) to.  Some people may not have gotten to that point in their lives yet, some may never want to get there, but it is still important to understand how to improve any relationship.  Lets focus on marriage here.  It is an unfortunate fact that a good number of marriages will fail within 7 years.   For some reason, 7 seems to be the number.  Lets start with a little comparison; take a look at your favorite hobby or activity, i.e. golf, philosophy, backpacking, etc.  How many books have you read on the topic you are interested in?  How many do you have in your library.  (I myself have at least 20 books on philosophy).  Now, how many books do you have on relationships?   (I have 3).  There is a whole section in bookstores that is specifically devoted to relationships.  Often times, people struggle through, not taking the time to do a little reading and figure out how to improve their relationship.  I don't have all the answers, but I know one constant that is a necessity for any relationship to succeed.  Communication.  If you look at your business relationships, they are absolutely dependant on communication to survive.  With a lack of communication, a company would disintigrate, employees doing what they thought was correct, but inevitably leading to demise.  The same holds true with relationships.  If we don't spend time talking to our spouse, we begin to make assumptions about what the other wants or needs and often times these assumptions are incorrect.  The other night I was talking to a guy at darts and he was complaining about his wife, citing issues and differences.  That night in particular they had gotten into an argument (over something stupid as he indicated) that escalated to the point where she broke down crying.  What was his response?  He left the house because he didn't want to deal with the her emotions.   It seems that men avoid emotional breakdowns and discussions of topics that seem trivial.  Often times, these trivial issues, if not addressed, will build and build adding negative energy to a relationship.   If discussed early, these issues are often times fairly simple to resolve, but if left to simmer, the issues will build, making a resolution more difficult to achieve often including a heightened emotional response.   Regardless of who you are, we generally regard these trivial issues as differences that will resolve themselves.  We justify not communicating by saying to ourselves, "I can deal with it", or "He/She will probably change if I give it enough time."   If we don't voice our concerns or aggravations, how is the other person to know that we have concerns or aggravations?   In voicing our concerns and aggravations, we must do so with respect for the other.  Often times at the beginning of my relationship with my wife, both of us would voice our concerns bluntly or let them fester.  We would say, "I don't like how you are doing this,"  or "it really pisses me off when you do that."  What was our response, getting defensive and shutting down.   Since then, we have learned how to address each other so that we can have a conversation about our little issues.  

Communication is not always easy.  It must be something that we work on every day in order to build trust and understanding with others.  Take some time during dinner or breakfast and find out how your loved one is doing.  There are many distractions out there that offer us an out when it comes to communication, the internet, tv, work.   We can easily slide into a habit of eating in front of the tv, or going into the office to work instead of spending time talking to each other.  A simple way to start is to make dinner together.  Food is something that I believe almost every person loves, so why not start there?  Make dinner every evening together and talk about your days.  If you don't work the same schedules, time must be found somewhere to devote to your relationship.  Every relationship needs energy from both partners if it is to succeed whether its negative or positive.  It is up to us to decide what energy we instill into a relationship.  We if don't actively work to build positive energy between us, you can be sure that negative energy will enter in.  We may not notice the negative energy at first, but it will build if left unchecked and be much harder to deal with at a later date.  I firmly believe that every relationship can succeed if enough effort is put in.  As with golf, riding a bike, running, working out;  the more time you devote to them, the more you will improve.  If more people devoted as much time to their relationships as they did to other activities, the divorce rate or overall failure of relationships would be drastically cut down. 

We can all improve the relationships we are in.  They are a constantly evolving phenomenon because we as humans are an ever evolving species.  Our needs and desires change, day to day, year to year.  None of us remain the same.  Our core values may stay intact, but our desires our ever shifting.  The person we married will not be the same person 7-10 years down the road.  We may change jobs or shift interests and we must communicate these changes to the people we love.  If we don't tell them, how are they to know what we are going through.  I encourage everyone to take an extra 10 minutes every day to sit down with your loved and talk.  Ask them how THEY are doing and what you can do to help them out.  Focus on them instead of you, you know what you need, but do you know what they need?  Lets cut the divorce rate in this country and make a difference.  Smile, for if you are reading this, you woke up today and that is where we all must start.

9 comments:

  1. Very good insight. I have been on both sides of this, and without communication, a relationship/friendship will wither away and die........So many people I know can use this information.

    It is interesting, I try to spend time with different groups of my friends. I look at a couple groups of friends, and the entire social time revolves around TV or video games. Sometimes I feel as if I don't even know these people because instead of talking to each other and getting to know each other we spend time rotting our brains. I push these groups to do other things, but it does not always work. In the beginning of the year, we would do a dinner every Sunday night where we would sit down, talk, and enjoy a home cooked meal, but this went by the wayside as everyone's schedules began to get busy. Unfortunately, these individuals don't make the time for these friendships, so as much as I try, I feel as if they may die after graduation.

    Its simple stuff. Kelly and I generally spend some of our time together playing cards and just talking. I try and sit at dinner for an hour or so with most of my friends just talking, and this is where the foundation of relationships and friendships lies, in communication.

    You are right on point Alex, and I wish more people would listen to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying that buying a self-help book will help solve my relationship problems? If so, you're nuts.

    99 percent of that crap is just that, crap. Almost every self-help book is approved by a focus group before being passed on to a marketing team with only one goal in mind -- making money.

    I agree the only way a relationship can sustain durability in this ever-shrinking world is through effective communication. However, no matter how often two people communicate, if that communication is not rooted in absolute honesty, than the True effectiveness of said communication breaks down.

    Even admirable men overflowing with integrity know what it's like to hide feelings, park emotions or simply provide short responses to genuinely probing questions. No person can escape feeling this way from time to time. In other words, effective communication isn't always as easy as you make it seem.

    For example, as much as I love my fiancé, it's not always easy to take ten minutes out of every day to inquire about what I can do for her or how she's REALLY feeling. Why? Because my relationship isn't black and white and feelings are fleeting.

    Love is complicated, especially when two people live together. I don’t know about you, but it's hard for me to engage in 10 minutes of "I love you and don't care about anything else other than your happiness" type of conversations, daily.

    I spend all my free time with Jamie, we live in a 600 sq. ft. apt., and sometimes I need to get away, be selfish and find some me time. And when I'm feeling that way, I really don't want to have an unselfish, "what can I do for you today baby" type conversation. Sometimes, I just want to sit on the couch with her and enjoy the f---ing silence. You feel me?

    OK, before I run too far off the road, let me get back to the underlining point. What works for one couple doesn't necessarily work for another. Relationships are like individuals, no two are the same.

    While self-help books arm some with the knowledge needed to effectively communicate with their partner, and ten minutes of uninterrupted conversation stands as another's ticket to marital longevity, no relationship (even the best ones) can escape that fact that time subtly changes things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then unfortunately you are doomed to failure. If you can't figure out how not to be selfish for ten minutes every day, then you marriage will be miserable and you won't last past 7 years happily. Don't get married if you don't feel like working on it. Not my problem, its yours. Just because you have underlying issues that prevent you from effectively working through something without taking the easy road out, don't slam me for my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is slamming you for you opinion? Not I. I simply don't agree with your assessment that what works for you works for everyone else.

    And to be honest, I am shocked that you find your advice to be the only valid way to live in a successful relationship.

    I am happy that ten minutes of uninterrupted, unselfish conversation is your key to a successful marriage, but it's not mine. I'm not you.

    And just because I don't probe my fiance to share her inner emotions on a daily basis, it doesn't mean that I am not in a successful, loving, and honest relationship.

    I love the fact that you are sharing your opinion. Hell, I even agree that it's solid advice. But it is not the be all end all road to happiness for all couples.

    And just so you know, I work on making my relationship a success every singe day. Are my methods different than yours, yes. But why does that doom me to be crucified and/or chastised by you?

    And don't slam my relationship and tell me how I am domed, or question why I am get married, b/c I do not share your overtly general philosophy on how to make things work.

    All I said was that things aren't so black and white as you make them seem. It's not always easy to sit down and have a completely unselfish conversation every day. Now, it may be easy for you to do it, but it's not always easy for me...and a million other people for that matter.

    I didn't personally attack your relationship, but b/c I disagreed with your road to success, you personally attack mine? Way to be open minded my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ask me not to slam you for your opinion, but yet I get slammed b/c I offer mine? And that makes sense to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you say that I, and my relationship, are doomed for failure. That is a pretty ballsy comment based on nine grafs of text.

    Don't sit on your perch and attack me from above. If you want to have an honest conversation, come down to reality and stop snubbing your nose down at couples who aren't like you and Jess. You two are not every man's blue print to a long and happy marriage, hate to break it to you.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bryan, you said in your comment that even the best relationships change over time. That is why communication is so important. As each of you continues to change, you must communicate about what is going on in your lives, what is changing, what you need, what you want. This way, you don't wake up one day and realize that the person you once loved has changed completely. Instead, you are moving along the journey of life with them, constantly changing with each other.

    Additionally, those times when you feel like you just need to get away and have some time for yourself are probably the times when it is most important to communicate and work through whatever disagreements and differences of opinion you may have. If you don't work on settling these at these times of struggle, then you will have a relationship of just good times, not of the rough times which are when the most growth takes place.

    Ten minutes around the stove while cooking may not be the way that works for you, but it is one idea. There are many forms of communicating with your significant other that may work better. I think that Alex is trying to get across is that you need to search out what works for you and make use of it every single day.

    Sacrifice not selfishness is what builds a solid firm relationship of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bryan and I are friends again, we made up on the phone earlier. Sometimes he can get a little convoluted in his way of writing, but if you sit for 50 minutes and ponder it, it starts to make sense after weeding at the B.S. (I had to throw something back). But seriously, as I mentioned originally, communication is the foundation of any relationship and it is ultimately up to each individual as to how to figure out what works best. Lets move on to more depressing issues, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pondered on what I wrote for fifty minutes? Ahh, I love you.

    ReplyDelete