Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Friday, December 30, 2011

Another Year Ending

Well, another year is coming to a close and it seems like the year once again flew by.  We could talk about the momentous events in the world that transpired over the last year such as the Arab Spring or the sharp increase in piracy on the high seas.  We could talk about global warming, increasing populations, food shortages, and economies still fumbling along.  We could also talk about politicians and their incessant lying, home foreclosures, or jobless rates.  But would our lives be any better if we had these discussions?  Probably not; if anything we would probably leave the conversation feeling more depressed about the world we live in and our prospects for the future.  The only meaningful way to really end a year is to look back at our own lives, see where we started off back last January, and look at how we might have changed over the course of a year.  As much as some people might think they are pretty much the same as they were this time last year, everyone changes at least a little.  Everyone changes for different reasons and to varying degrees.  One thing is certain, however; as we look back at our lives over the past year and the changes we have been through, we will continue to change as time progresses.  I know that my life has changed dramatically over the past year and I am sure it will continue to do so over this coming year.

It was just about the start of last year when our son was conceived.  In addition to that, it was also about the time I made the decision to transition out of being a contractor to being a yoga instructor.  A month or two later, I started this blog.  And that was only the beginning of the year.  Perhaps the biggest change was the news that I was going to have a child.  More than anything else, it changed my outlook on life and had the effect of grounding me a little more.  The trip through my wife's pregnancy to the birth of our son was an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade in for anything.  And now the journey just keeps on getting better as we get to watch him develop and grow.  Its funny how things work out the way they do.  It was before I even knew that my wife was pregnant that I made the decision to become a yoga instructor.  The two events coinciding as they did was, I feel, more than coincidence.  But that was only a small part of the year.  Looking back, even my blog as changed over time from covering only world news and my thoughts on them to a blog based more in the human condition that we are constantly living.  I feel that, personally, I have matured somewhat over the past year (not totally, trust me) and have made changes in my life for the better.  I have made new friends over the past year and some have moved on from this world.  And as the year comes to a close, I have begun my training to become a yoga instructor.  All in all, this year has been a good year. 

I find that it is important to look back at our lives over the past year and see what has happened.  The importance comes not in seeing what we could have changed or done differently, but in seeing the good that happened, or the bad, and what kind of effect it had on us.  For only in looking at how we made it through the past year can we make commitments to ourselves to make changes for the coming year, either in what we will do or how we will act and react to different stimuli.  Yet despite looking back and seeing our journey, we shouldn't dwell to long on it or get caught up in it.  The only time we truly have is the present.  We can't change the past and we can't predict the future; we can only deal with the present and decide the course of action we will take through each day.  Let us learn from our mistakes over the past year and try not to make them again.  Let us make commitments to ourselves to improve some aspect of who we are.  Let us strive to reach out and help others both in our family and in our community.  As much as some people may despise or abhor our society and the current state of the world, the only way we can make a difference is by starting with ourselves and working outwards.  Let us all strive to make this next year even better than the last, to enjoy every minute we have, to not let any opportunity pass us by, and to cherish our family and friends that we have around us.  To a great 2011 and an even better 2012, let us toast (coffee right now, alcohol later).  See everyone next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment