Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Friday, December 9, 2011

The Morning After...Pill

A decision was made a few days ago by the Secretary of Health and Human Services that I actually agree with and support.  The decision over rules the F.D.A. and essentially prohibits over the counter sales of the morning after pill called Plan B to teenagers under the age of 17.  So why is this such a big deal?  I guess it all depends on who you talk to.  Historically, this is the first time that the FDA has been over ruled by the secretary.  But more importantly, this brings contraceptives into the spotlight again and the wide spectrum of views that accompany this issue.  Now Plan B does not terminate a pregnancy as the other morning after pill, RU-486 does.  What it does is delay ovulation in an attempt to reduce the possibility of a woman getting pregnant.  In addition, if it is not taken soon after sexual intercourse, it loses its effectiveness.  According to reports, the big issue in this is that there were not enough studies done including girls as young as age 11 who could get pregnant.  In a day and age when more and more youth are becoming sexually active at a younger and younger age, this is an important discussion that needs to be had.  How many parents out there are actively teaching their children about all the ramifications of having sex?  It seems to me that instead of making contraceptives available to women of all ages, that perhaps education should take a higher priority.   Education should be the first step in teaching women about their bodies and what happens.  The current trend, except for this decision, seems to be using education as an afterthought and contraception as a forethought. 

Now, as a Catholic, I have certain views that not everyone will agree with.  That being said, however, I do not simply adopt views because they are held by a religion that I am part of.  Rather, every view that I do have has been thought through on the basis of my morals and if the decision I reach happens to be held by my religion as well, then so be it.  If this product was introduced to the market for teenagers of all ages to buy at will over the counter, how would that translate into their lives as they grow up?  I would think that it would add to the overall view that they can act as they want because there is always an option to relieve them of responsibility for what they have done.  I am of the belief that contraceptives serve only one purpose, to relieve people of the potential responsibility that accompanies the act of having sex.   Regardless of how you look at it, that is essentially what they do.  There are already plenty of options out there for young women to prevent pregnancy if they choose to go down that route.  If this had passed and been allowed, it would be telling young women, "Hey, you forgot your birth control pill this morning, but don't worry, because now you can take one the morning after to help prevent any pregnancy from occurring, so don't worry.  And if that doesn't work, we will just get you an abortion, OK?"

The funny thing is, science is a constant factor that is thrown into this mix.  "The science supports the use of this in all girls", "this decision flies in the face of science", "science is your god and you shall obey science."  (That last quote was mine, but it seems like that is the path we are going down here.)  Since when has science taken the place of morals and ethics?  It seems that if we disagree with science anymore, that we are acting immorally or unethically.  Perhaps we should go back to teaching children the basics of cause and effect.  Or maybe even the basics of decisions and responsibility.  I have said this before, but our society is headed down the path of acting without thinking.  There is always a remedy for any decision we may make.  If we make a stupid decision and get hurt, than we can find a way of suing someone.  If men commit acts of infidelity, than they blame it on their childhood.  If women get pregnant and don't want to, they get rid of the problem.  We need to realign our principles and perhaps the decision by the secretary of Health and Human Services has started that.  It was a small decision, but one that holds great weight with many women both liberal and conservative.  If you want to read more about this decision, follow the links here, Article 1, Article 2.  For now though, I applaud the decision and implore anyone reading this, (not just in terms of sex and pregnancy) think before you act; it will save you headaches down the road. 

1 comment:

  1. I am a woman who was on the Birth control pill as a teenager. It was an easy fix and a sense of relief for my mom. I never thought about consequences for sexual activity. As I got older I continued with the pill as it was what I knew. Before marriage we decided to try natural family planning, this was a remarkable thing for me. I learned more about my body than I ever knew and found a trust in myself and my body. I feel that all young girls should first learn about the science of their bodies and to trust that before engaging in sexual activity. Good for the secretary.

    ReplyDelete