Welcome


If this is your first time visiting, welcome. If you are returning again, welcome back. While this blog was originally not going to be about me or my life, it seems to be morphing to include more of myself and experiences. I will still strive to add a different perspective to the news and events around the world that impact everyone's life,however, I will focus more attention on issues that relate more tangibly to our personal lives. We all live in a world that is increasingly interconnected yet it seems a lot of people are turning inwards, shying away from human interaction. Lets step away from ourselves and see what we can do to make a difference. There are ads on this page and 65 cents of every dollar earned will be donated towards helping the homeless. If you like what you are reading, please share it with your friends.




Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Crazy Weather

Packaged with all the moribund stories that stream through the news every day are an increasing amount dedicated to extreme weather events.  We have been dealing with these unusual and extreme events since the winter of 2010/2011 and our excessive amount of snowfall.  This past winter was another anomaly with a freak snow storm in the North East in October followed by above normal temperatures for the remainder of the winter.  Now we are dealing with drought, the most widespread in the United States since 1956.  At this point, the middle of July and still plenty of summer to go, 55% of the United States is dealing with moderate to extreme drought.  Yet, if you go a little farther north to Alaska, you will find that Mount McKinley just this month has had 21 inches of snow with a temperature range from 21 degrees above zero to 13 below, a true anomaly.  So what is in store for us as we head into the peak of hurricane season.  At this point it is anybody's guess.  Some say that it will be worse than usual due to the increased temperatures while others say it will be normal.  The only thing we can be certain of is that the weather will be crazy.  It seems, at least to me, that global warming is finally starting to flex its muscles and make itself known to the world.  We just can't tell anymore what the weather will do or what it will be like next month.  So what do we do?

Besides reducing our own carbon footprint, which it seems was a fad that passed most people by, we must simply deal with it.  In my mind, you can either complain about it, which will do you absolutely no good, or get through it and hope next month is better.  As a painting contractor working outside, I can't remember a summer that has been this overly hot and humid.  Compared to last year where I can remember a handful of days where the weather was atrocious, it seems that every week brings at least 1 or 2 days that are packed with almost unbearable heat and humidity.  Its almost as if the excessive rain of last summer and the heat and humidity of this summer have traded places.  Where last year was a bear to work outside with 1 to 3 rainy days a week, at least this year the outdoor projects can progress at a more than sluggish pace.  I am more than willing, however, to sacrifice a day or two of work to get some substantial rain around here.  The only rain we seem to be getting is in short spurts over a few hours that mostly drains off and doesn't really soak into the ground.  As I drive through Woodbridge to work sometimes, I pass a reservoir that is lower than I have ever seen it.  It is at least 7-8 feet below normal exposing mud, rocks, and an otherwise alien landscape.  I can't even imagine what it must be like down in Texas where the drought is ten times worse with sever water shortages.  All in all, I guess we aren't that bad off here yet. 

Personally, I am kind of interested to see what this winter will be like.  I am big fan of snow, even the enormous amount we received 2 years ago now.  Obviously a little less would be ideal, but snow makes our brown winter landscape look more beautiful.  But I guess only time will tell.  The way the weather seems to be shaping up so far, it seems that we might be in for another mild winter.  Such is life.  In a way, all this crazy weather makes me glad I bought property up in Vermont with my wife a few years ago.  With global warming, Connecticut will probably feel like Virginia in 15 years and at that point, maybe it will be time to pack it up and move north where the weather is colder and more to my liking.  Whatever the case, the weather is sure providing interesting news stories as we progress slowly through time and our warming planet.  My only hope is that the Midwest gets some rain soon so that all the crops that have been planted don't have to get scrapped.  That is, if those crops haven't gotten scrapped already.  Be it monsoon like weather or dismal heat, each year is proving to be unpredictable and record setting.  Personally, I need to get myself ready now for another blistering day in the heat and humidity.  Luckily, I have some interior work so the morning will be spent outside and the hot afternoon indoors.  To everyone who has to work outside today, good luck and drink lots of water, I know I will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment